Dalmeny Kirk is the Romanesque 12th century church at the heart of Dalmeny village. It is one of the best preserved Norman parish churches in Scotland.
The church dominates the village in terms of its height and architecture. It was built in the early 12th century and has 17th century additions, with the tower constructed in 1937. The main entrance to the church is on the south elevation where its bestiary carvings and Romanesque columns are of particular architectural merit and are widely documented. The national importance of Dalmeny Kirk is reflected by its category A listing. The churchyard is also listed and contains a variety of graves and monuments with the earliest dating from 1678.
We believe the traditional teachings of Christianity, as revealed in the Bible. These include:
- There is only one God, who is Father, Son and Holy Spirit. God is in control. He created the world, has shown us what he is like, has a plan to save us, and will one day judge the world.
- The Bible is God’s word to us. It is the final word in all matters of behaviour and belief. Jesus Christ is God, but is also a real human; he was born of a virgin, died on the cross, he physically came back to life, and now reigns in heaven and earth.
- Everyone does wrong things; it’s part and parcel of our human nature.
- We can however be forgiven and freed from the guilt, punishment and power of the wrong things we do, but only because of Jesus’ death. Jesus was being punished instead of us, so our wrong has been completely dealt with.
- We do not deserve God’s forgiveness. And not only does God forgive us for everything, but he looks on us as being perfect, just as Jesus was perfect. All this is obtained only by faith.
- God does this through the Holy Spirit acting in people’s lives, turning them away from wrong and towards God, and giving them faith in Jesus Christ. The Holy Spirit lives in Christians, changing them so that they live more like Jesus, enabling them to live for Jesus in this world.
- The Church is not a building or an organisation, but is made up of all Christians throughout the world. Jesus is present in the world today through the Church.
- Jesus will one day return.