People worshipped God here for many centuries before the little stone church was built. By the 7th century Dalmeny was on the northern fringe of the great kingdom of Northumbria. The Christian faith had taken root here, influenced by early saints and kings.
One of these was Cuthbert to whom the church at Dalmeny would later be dedicated.
Early church buildings were usually simple wooden structures. Often all that remains to hint the life and worship of ordinary believers are placenames and dedications which look back to the saints of the day. The name Dalmeny, written in earlier forms as Dunmani and Dunmany, may be the gaelic Dun Manach meaning ‘place of the monks’.
The later stone church at Dalmeny, built in the 12th century, had alters commemorating three saints – Cuthbert, Bridget and Adamnan.
By 1018 Malcolm II had gained control of southern Scotland and pushed Anglican influence south below the Tweed however just 50 years later it was a Northumbrian earl, Gospatric, who would come north to Scotland, in a move which in time would lead to the erection of the beautiful church of Dalmeny.